Coach Core Team
Coach Core is managed by a dedicated team based at The Royal Foundation, with the support of an advisory board of experts
Coach Core Team
Gary Laybourne – Head of Coach Core Programme
A coach from the age of seventeen, Gary has worked in the coaching and sporting charity sector for nearly 20 years from volunteer coach to senior head coach and now in more recent years, as a coach project manager. Part of the Coach Core team from day one in 2012, he is passionate about its expansion and success and on a wider scale, strives to ensure better coaching quality and accessibility for all. Gary is also a current Great Britain age group European and National gold medallist triathlete plus assists partners with coaching whenever possible!
Amy Fazackerley– Coach Core Project Manager
Amy graduated with a degree in Sport, Physical Education and Coaching Science in 2011. Whilst at University, Amy delivered a range of sports coaching sessions in local schools, whilst also gaining voluntary experience with the City of Birmingham Special Olympics and at the World Blind Football Championships. Amy has over 7 years’ experience of delivering sports programmes for the community, specifically for those who may not traditionally have access to sport and physical activity. She has a particular passion for women’s and disability sport and can be found playing football or squash in her spare time.
Laura Larsson– Coach Core Project Manager
Laura has over 7 years experience working in Community Sport and development, after graduating from Oxford Brookes in 2012 Laura started her career in Stockholm, Sweden working in a secondary school and playing lacrosse with the Swedish National Team. Since moving back to the UK in 2014, Laura has been involved in the delivery of sport and health programmes across London working with schools, local authorities, Leisure facilities, charitable organisations and national governing bodies. She has a keen interest in community focused programmes in particular those that support mental health and has recently completed foundational teacher training in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) with the Oxford Mindfulness Centre.
Coach Core is also very fortunate to have a fantastic advisory board comprising of the following members:
- Ed Wray – Chair of the advisory board and passionate about ‘sport for change’. With extensive knowledge and links in business and sport, Ed has been integral in the expansion of the project.
- Ajit Nedungadi – with his extensive knowledge in business and technology, Ajit has helped guide Coach Core through the expansion phases and continues to be very vocal about sport for change as whole
- John Amaechi – a legendary figure within British sport, John was a former NBA professional for many years before continuing his career and expanding his reputation as a respected psychologist.
- Owen Slot – a highly respected sports journalist, Owen joined The Times in 2002 before becoming its Chief Sports Writer in 2014. He has won a number of industry awards and authored successful sports biographies too.
- Steve Mitchell – formerly of Skills Active, Steve is an educational advisor to many sporting organisations. His advice has been critical to navigating Coach Core through a number of educational changes and utilising his extensive industry contacts to help the expansion.